Caught stealing about 19$ worth of stuff at target

Asked 8 months ago - Chicago, IL

I was at target today and was caught shoplifting. Dumb I know- they said it would be an easy process (except I didn't have my id!!) so the cops were called and I just had to pay the police 100 for a city citation.
No court date issued they said. Will I still have to worry about this going on my record? From getting any type of job? What type of letter should I expect from target?
Also I'm not a Juvenal so maybe charged different?

Thanks.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . Why did you label this question as juvenile if you state you are not a juvenile? I have changed the practice area for you.

Do not pay anyone else any more money for this incident.

There is law in the state of Illinois which allows for civil action collection when there is a retail theft. Most people choose to ignore the demand. This demand is for money over and above any fine you pay in compliance with a court order. You may get a few more letters, each time asking for more, and then they stop. While the retailer can sue you, it is extremely rare for anyone to actually be sued. You do not owe any money unless you are sued and the retailer wins. This is a common ploy. Do not pay. If you do, you will be in the national retailers database which could affect your ability to get a job and could impact your life in other ways. If you are uncomfortable, hire a lawyer and have the lawyer write a cease and desist letter. That should be the end of it.

Here is a good article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120347031996578...

The National Retail Theft Database is actually a voluntary list put together by different individual retailers. Further, any member that published the information on the list, can thereafter, remove it. Therefore, if you wish to have the entry removed, as you apparently do, your best bet would be to write a letter to the manager of the particular store and inquire as to what it would take for them to remove the entry.

Please go to this link:
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/should-i-p...

2. Melissa I. Smejkal

2

Answered . Yes, you need to worry about this going on your record. Hire an attorney and try for deferred prosecution.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . Most definitely even a minor petty theft municipal charge will affect your future educational and employment pursuits. Retain a counsel to dispose of the charge without a conviction thus making sure your criminal record remains unblemished.