Caught shoplifting in pa ( >$25) first time... ever in trouble...18+ yrs old.. whats the best I can hope for. And the worst?

Pittsburgh, PA |

caught with $25 in merchandise unintentionally hidden by my diaper in my cart after i had purchased a cartful of items.. was preoccupied from a recent death and very distracted by my young children that day....wasn't intentional ar all... whats the best i can hope for when going to court? whats the wost???

a picture and my id were taken. no finger prints, no cops. i did sign a paper..was told i was not banned cause i had no prior history. Correction: Hidden by my diaper bag...

If you have no record you can probably be placed on the s-called STOP program and eventually get your record expunged.

CHRISTOPHER BOKAS, ESQUIRE
Christopherbokas@rcn.com
610-352-7100

The best you can hope for is an acquittal. The second- best is probably ARD, which will cost you some money and require you to participate in a program for shoplifters. However, it will offer you a chance to expunge your record after successful completion of the case.

Based upon what you have stated here, you should plead not guilty and try to have it dismissed.

Clifford L Tuttle, Jr
Attorney at Law
Pittsburgh, PA

The foregoing answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Answers are based upon the facts stated and may change if there are additional facts not contained in the question.

I agree with Mr. Tuttle. You need to retain qualified counsel ASAP. I have had cases with similar facts and the Court has been very sympathetic. Counsel can help protect your rights and tell your story. Mr. Tuttle seems to be near you, why not give him a call.

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.