Caught shoplifting in pa ( >$25) first time... ever in trouble...18+ yrs old.. whats the best I can hope for. And the worst?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

caught with $25 in merchandise unintentionally hidden by my diaper in my cart after i had purchased a cartful of items.. was preoccupied from a recent death and very distracted by my young children that day....wasn't intentional ar all... whats the best i can hope for when going to court? whats the wost???

a picture and my id were taken. no finger prints, no cops. i did sign a paper..was told i was not banned cause i had no prior history. Correction: Hidden by my diaper bag...

1. Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . The best you can hope for is an acquittal. The second- best is probably ARD, which will cost you some money and require you to participate in a program for shoplifters. However, it will offer you a chance to expunge your record after successful completion of the case.

Based upon what you have stated here, you should plead not guilty and try to have it dismissed.

Clifford L Tuttle, Jr
    Attorney at Law
    Pittsburgh, PA

2. Christopher G. Bokas

Answered . If you have no record you can probably be placed on the s-called STOP program and eventually get your record expunged.

CHRISTOPHER BOKAS, ESQUIRE
    Christopherbokas@rcn.com
    610-352-7100

3. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Tuttle. You need to retain qualified counsel ASAP. I have had cases with similar facts and the Court has been very sympathetic. Counsel can help protect your rights and tell your story. Mr. Tuttle seems to be near you, why not give him a call.