Caught shoplifting at Walmart, item was $9.99, cops called and got a Complaint/Arrest Affidavit

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I am 25 years old and I was caught shoplifting at walmart, the item had a value of $9.99 and the cops were called. I wasn't arrested but they took down my driver's license and information, had to sign a paper and got a copy of it labeled "Complaint/Arrest Affidavit". It was marked as Misdemeanor. I was told I'd get a summons to court in 1-2 months but the cop mentioned that places like Walmart rarely show up to court and if they don't, the case will be dismissed. As much as I'd like to believe him, I imagine that someone representing Walmart will show up and I'll get a fine.

This is my first offense. What can I expect? A fine? A class? Community Service? Even jail time? And if I do get charged is there a way for me to get it expunged from my record?

1. William David Umansky

Pro

15

Answered . You need to hire a lawyer to represent you. While petit theft Is a misdemeanor, it is a crime of dishonesty and employers will likely not want to hire you. Get a lawyer, see if there is a diversion program wherein you complete certain conditions and hopefully get charge dropped. Then get the lawyer to expunge your records.

2. David Richard Damore

Pro

6

Answered . Follow Atty Umanskys advise.

3. David Bradley Dohner

6

Answered . My colleagues have both made good points. Umansky by actually doing some work. Damore joining in Umansky's opinion (and then I tried to climb on Damore's back. He and I both know that Donald Trump has been right all along: "you don't have to be smart. You just have to hire smart people". LOL.

To create the appearance that I am doing something useful, however, let me emphasize a point that my colleague Mr. Umansky made. This is quite a bit different than simply agreeing with it. I will be rigth back after breakfast and get on that. Thank you for your patience.

4. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

7

Answered . Shoplifting is serious, even if the item taken has a low retail value. Get a lawyer who can look at your case and either advise you to plea guilty to a lesser charge or defend you at trial.

Walmart will not be in court, but the prosecutor will to try and prosecute you. Show up when you are told to do so with a lawyer who can speak on your behalf, either a private lawyer or public defender. Good luck in court.

5. Paul Domenic Petruzzi

Pro

5

Answered . Check out my website for details on the offense:
    www.paulpetruzzi.com
    Call my office if you have any other questions. The consultation is free.

This is not intended as legal advice.