Caught shoplifting at WalMart. First time offense, no cops called, what's next?

Asked 7 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

I already paid the fine WalMart sent, my court hearing is in a month, what should I expect now? It was $30 worth of merchandise.

1. David R. Fischer

Pro

3

Answered . Misdemeanor theft offenses can typically be resolved with a class and a fine, followed by a dismissal of the case. Most attorneys handle these types of cases for a reasonable fee, which would save you the stress and time of going to court. My office offers free consultations.

2. Garrett Tanji Ogata

Pro

3

Answered . You have been summoned to appear. If you retain counsel he or she can make this appearance for you and begin to try to negotiate this matter. If you do not appear or your counsel does not appear then it will go into warrant for your arrest. Due to the value of the merchandise you will probably be charged with Petit Larceny, which is a misdemeanor offense. Getting a dismissal is what your attorney should be fighting for. Consult with an attorney to further explain the charges and process.

3. Michael A. Troiano

2

Answered . You will be charged with Misdemeanor Petit Larceny. The best thing you can do is contact a criminal defense attorney asap. Typically, when I represent clients for this charge I make the first court appearance for them, in order for them not to have to deal with the time and stress of a court appearance. The goal is to get the case dismissed, because a theft charge is something you do not want on your record, especially for work background checks.