Caught Shoplifting at Rite Aid (Washington State)

Asked almost 4 years ago - Mercer Island, WA

Hi, recently I was caught shoplifting at a Rite-Aid and apprehended outside the store by the LPA. I am 19 years old and live in Washington (the state) She took me into the back and had me fill out a few forms and threatened to call the cops if I could not prove who I said I was and I did not have my ID on me but I called my brother who drove home to get it for me and came back. The items I stole were a little less than $10 in value. She made me intial a couple boxes and sign a form saying I am banned from rite aid. She said I would also get a letter in the mail for a fine that I would need to pay, otherwise there would be a warrant out for my arrest and the worst thing I could do was ignore it. I asked her how much it was and she said she didn't know.

I live in Washington

(My question is, do I really need to pay the fine when I get it, and will a warrant really go out for my arrest if I do not pay it? I heard that it was some nonsense from their legal department and it costs too much money for them to bring it to court over 9 dollars and that they try and scare people with threatening letters about paying them immediately, in most cases $200+.

1. Adrian Martinez Madrone

Pro

Answered . It is unclear what question you are asking here. If you are asking how much the fine might be, that is very difficult to predict.

2. Kris R. Jensen

Pro

Answered . It's very common for clients to mix the civil ability of a store to sue you with the criminal aspects of possible prosecution. Rite Aid wants you to pay to settle a civil lawsuit against you. Prosecutors can still file a criminal charge against you, regardless of whether you pay Rite Aide now.

You should hire an attorney to resolve both civil and criminal aspects together.