Caught shoplifting at Rite-Aid, first time offense.

Asked over 1 year ago - Rosemead, CA

I was caught shoplifting at Rite-Aid. I opened the box and took its content, 'damaging' the item. The LP took me to the back room where I signed and initialed a few papers. She took my name, DOB, and address and called in my dad since I'm a minor. No police were involved and my picture wasn't taken. She didn't say anything about me being banned, but she told me I'll be receiving a fine in the mail later. I researched and found out it's the Civil Demand. I read that you don't have have to pay for it since the DA didn't send it themselves, but I also read that there's a chance that they may prosecute. So when I get my letter, should I pay the demand? How high is the chance of being prosecuted for not paying the demand? And would the letter be sent to me or my dad?

1. Douglas Holbrook

1

1

Answered . Any prosecution would not be for not paying the demand. It would be for the act of shoplifting.
    Many individuals sometimes think that if they respond and pay the amount requested in the civil demand letter, it will preclude prosecution. Unfortunately, they are wrong. Best advice I could give would be to consult with a criminal defense attorney who will very likely tell you to ignore the civil demand letter.

As to where the letter would be sent, it would be sent to what ever address you live at.

2. Robert Laurens Driessen

1

Answered . Do not pay. Paying or not paying will have no effect if charges are filed.