Caught shoplifting at kmart for 15.99;additional question to prioir question? Please HELP answer this!!!

Asked over 3 years ago - Levittown, PA

I was caught at kmart on dec.3 2010. I signed a civil demand letter. The security said this paper would go to their lawyer and I would have to pay a fee depending on what their lawyers charge. How long will it take for me to get the fine? I am so scared not knowing when this fine will come or will I get a warrent for arrest even if police were not called? Can they still send a warrent even if police were not called and how long does it usually take? I cannot live with the not knowing what will happen. I have never been to court for shoplifting but I was fingerprinted twice for prior cases with one time fine.This happend on a friday and it is wednesday; all I do is stay in bed depressed and scared for the unknown. What may happen now?

1. Carina Laguzzi

Best Answer

Answered . You should never sign anything that you do not fully understand. However, for now there is no much you can do. If the security did not call the police at the time you were caught, it doesnot seem likely that you will be prosecuted criminally. As soon as you receive any paperwork from KMART be sure to find a good attorney to help with the next step.

2. Michael James Reed

Answered . If you are contacted by the court or police, acquire an Attorney to assist you in the matter.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Reed Law Office
    212 West Gay Street
    West Chester, PA 19380
    610-696-2600
    ReedPALaw@gmail.com

3. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

Answered . By signing the letter you could be admitting your crime. That is problematic. If you get either a civil demand letter or a criminal compaint or citation contact an attorney to advise you.

4. Steven Fisher Fairlie

Pro

Answered . They can send you a summons even if the police did not contact you at the time, but that is probably unlikely. Try not to worry yourself to death about something that very well may not happen, and then place it in the hands of a very good lawyer if it does.

Steven F. Fairlie, Esq.
    Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
    1501 Lower State Road, Suite 304
    North Wales, PA 19454
    voice: (215) 997-1000
    fax: (215) 997-1777
    steve@fairlielaw.net
    www.fairlielaw.net