Skip to main content

Caught shoplifting, whats next?

Sykesville, MD |

I was caught shoplifting from JCpenny a week ago for $200 worth of merchandise. The LP officer stopped me, took me to the back and they obtained the merchandise. An officer was called and came and got my information. I did not receive a ticket or a summons to appear in court, YET. I did overhear the officer ask the LP worker if they wanted to prosecute, she responded "yes". I have read that JCpenny has a 100% prosecution policy, however i have not received a court date, or anything about court. I only received a civil penalty letter from JCpenny...should i wait and expect a letter with a court date or what? **This was my first offense, my record is COMPLETELY clean**

Attorney Answers 4


If they prosecute, you will be served with a charging document. That may include a preliminary date (possibly a court date depending on the jurisdiction). If/When you get it, contact an attorney right away. Do not speak to police or anyone else until you have consulted an attorney.

This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an interview. This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


I suggest you contact a local MD criminal attorney before you do anything with the civil penalty letter and before you receive any notification of criminal charges from the court. I would advise against making any further statement to anyone about the facts of this incident until you speak with an attorney - many offer free consultation - take advantage of that office immediately. I am not licensed to practice in MD & am unfamiliar with their laws & procedure. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Mark as helpful


Don't wait for a charging document. Make arrangements to speak with a lawyer now.

The materials contained in this answer are provided as a public service and on an informational basis. These materials are not intended to be a comprehensive statement of Maryland law, and are not intended to convey legal advice. I answer all questions. However, this does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer until you pay me money. If you have a legal problem, you should consult with an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. If you need an attorney, you may contact me 410-828-9363 and I will be more than happy to give you a free initial consultation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Mark as helpful

Shoplifting topics

Recommended articles about Shoplifting

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics