Caught shoplifting, whats next?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sykesville, MD

I was caught shoplifting from JCpenny a week ago for $200 worth of merchandise. The LP officer stopped me, took me to the back and they obtained the merchandise. An officer was called and came and got my information. I did not receive a ticket or a summons to appear in court, YET. I did overhear the officer ask the LP worker if they wanted to prosecute, she responded "yes". I have read that JCpenny has a 100% prosecution policy, however i have not received a court date, or anything about court. I only received a civil penalty letter from JCpenny...should i wait and expect a letter with a court date or what? **This was my first offense, my record is COMPLETELY clean**

1. Steven J. Scheinin

2

Answered . Don't wait for a charging document. Make arrangements to speak with a lawyer now.

2. Warren E Tydings Jr

Answered . If they prosecute, you will be served with a charging document. That may include a preliminary date (possibly a court date depending on the jurisdiction). If/When you get it, contact an attorney right away. Do not speak to police or anyone else until you have consulted an attorney.

3. William Lawrence Welch III

Answered . An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

4. Michael R Crosner

Answered . I suggest you contact a local MD criminal attorney before you do anything with the civil penalty letter and before you receive any notification of criminal charges from the court. I would advise against making any further statement to anyone about the facts of this incident until you speak with an attorney - many offer free consultation - take advantage of that office immediately. I am not licensed to practice in MD & am unfamiliar with their laws & procedure. Good luck