Caught shoplifting- no police involved- no charges- only civil demand letter. Will this show on my record/background checks?

Richmond, VA |

I was caught shoplifting $12 worth of items from Kroger earlier this year. LP caught me and I signed a few papers but I was reassured that no cops would be involved and I wouldn't go to court. I had to agree to not go on that specific Kroger's property (I'm allowed at any other one) and I can return in a year with permission. A month later I received a civil demand letter asking for $50, which I paid just to be safe. It's been two months since I received the letter with no other news.
Since it was solved in the civil demand, will any of this appear in a background check? Do background checks typically include civil cases?
Also, is it still possible/probable for Kroger to file a civil suit, months later?

1. This will not show on a criminal records check and they would not take the trouble to see if you were ever involved in a civil suit. If Kroger filed a civil suit, you would have plenty of grounds for dismissal. First, I'm guessing that LP recovered the items you were attempting to take. Second, they made a demand which you paid. You're probably safe.

2. Can't be sure, but it sounds as if you have heard the last of it. Best not to post anymore on this or other websites - you never know who is looking.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

3. You are probably in the clear. However, if something like this happens in the future, you need to consult with an attorney. The document you signed probably has some language prohibiting the store from bringing further civil action against you, but you need to be sure it also prohibits them from seeking criminal charges as well.

Also, for any misdemeanor offense in Virginia, there is a statute of limitations of one year from the date of offense. After that one year, criminal charges may not be filed.

By responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.