1. How does one check the reputation of a jurisdiction?
2. How does one check the reputation of specific company?
3. How does one assess the quality of government oversight?
4. Should one be able to find a report of an independent auditor?
5. Should the company be bonded, insured? How does one check?
6. Should they make any guarantees?
7. What sort of documents should they provide their clients beyond the trust agreement it self?

All of your questions are important, but you will find it nearly impossible to do the necessary due diligence online. I strongly urge you to retain an attorney who specializes in transferring assets to offshore trust companies. He or she will know which firms have worked for his or her clients and can steer you in the right direction. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Very few law firms exclusively work in the area of asset protection planning. In the following links, you will find general information on the offshore trust company and destination we work with.

Feel free to contact my office if you want more specific information.

Douglass Lodmell is the nations #1 Asset Protection attorney and has clients in all 50 states, protecting over $4 Billion in client assets. Answers given by him in this forum do not establish an attorney-client relation. He advises to seek a specialized attorney in the area of your interest for legal representation.

I agree with Mr. Pankowski. You really need a lawyer with years of experience dealing with offshore entities and asset protection. After more than 30 years of helping clients, mostly Europeans, set up offshore entities, for most people, offshore asset protection is total overkill, expensive, and frustrating.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates