Cashiers check

I closed my bank account and they sent me a cashiers check. how long is the check good for or valid? It does not have any expiration date printed on the check. Also can I give the check to a relative of mine and tell him to cash it.? (The check is on my name)

New York, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

I think checks become stale after 6 months. Call the bank and ask to be sure. Also ask if they allow you to endorse it over to someone else.

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Bellmore, NY

I think my colleagues are correct that most checks become stale after 6 months, but the rules that apply to standard checks do not apply to cashier's checks. Cashier's checks do not become stale, but after a period of years, the funds in the bank being held to pay the check, escheats to the state. Each bank handles this differently, and if you plan on holding a cashiers check for an extended period of time, you should notify the bank manager of your former branch. You should also make copies of that cashiers check and keep them in safe places in case the original is lost. If the check starts to become worn, consider having the bank issue a new one.

Michael David Siegel

Michael David Siegel

Business Attorney - New York, NY

You can bring it to the bank and get cash for it, if you are worried about it becoming stale.

Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

Litigation Lawyer - Costa Mesa, CA

I agree with counsel. Checks are usually good for 6 months. To be sure all the bank

Related Advice