Cashiers check

New York, NY |

I closed my bank account and they sent me a cashiers check. how long is the check good for or valid? It does not have any expiration date printed on the check. Also can I give the check to a relative of mine and tell him to cash it.? (The check is on my name)

I think checks become stale after 6 months. Call the bank and ask to be sure. Also ask if they allow you to endorse it over to someone else.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I agree with counsel. Checks are usually good for 6 months. To be sure all the bank

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

I think my colleagues are correct that most checks become stale after 6 months, but the rules that apply to standard checks do not apply to cashier's checks. Cashier's checks do not become stale, but after a period of years, the funds in the bank being held to pay the check, escheats to the state. Each bank handles this differently, and if you plan on holding a cashiers check for an extended period of time, you should notify the bank manager of your former branch. You should also make copies of that cashiers check and keep them in safe places in case the original is lost. If the check starts to become worn, consider having the bank issue a new one.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

You can bring it to the bank and get cash for it, if you are worried about it becoming stale.