Skip to main content

Case law of mortgage and/or note may be used to establish motion to partition?

Chicago, IL |

How do I know if I can file a complaint to partition a property? I am on the mortgage, the note, but I Quit Claimed the Title/Deed to the property. The Quit Claim is not valid, was not recorded, as it does not have the property pin or property description, just property address.

Additionally, I signed a "person to person" contract that says I transfer my property interest to another individual. Since I am on the responsibility of note and mortgage loan, can I argue I still have an interest to sell the property? I want to locate any Illinois Case Law that will establish IF I can proceed or if this will be rejected. Do you know any cases by exact example of this??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is unlikely you will find any caselaw which will support your position. However, if you wish to go to a law library and do some research you may learn quite a bit. This form is not set up for us to do your research for you.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.


A real estate attorney should be able to review your documents and advise you on the benefits and pitfalls of pursuing a partition claim, and advise on whether you are able to bring a partition claim at all.



Thanks Eric.

Eric Allen Sutton

Eric Allen Sutton


Of course, I hope you are successful in your goals here.


You should setup a consultation with a real estate lawyer who can review your documentation and advise you on how to proceed.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer