Case Information Sheet Help needed- Divorce

Asked about 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

My husband has full control over all finances in our marriage and keeps all bills/records away from the marital home, I am left with very little information about our expenses and assets to fill in on my CIS, how do I best proceed? He refuses any and all communication with me at this time. He provides essentially no support to the household now, I am a stay at home mom relying on meager savings and friends and family to help financially.

1. Seth A Kurs

4

Answered . It sounds like you are the victim of a form of domestic violence. First of all, you should not be attempting to handle a divorce by yourself pro se, you should be seeking the counsel of an experienced local attorney. Second, you should reach out to the domestic violence organization in your county for additional guidance, services and counseling. They may even be able to find you pro bono legal assistance. The fact that you have no income of your own, your attorney will help you file a motion for pedente lite support, which is temporary support (similar to alimony) until the divorce is finalized.

2. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

3

Answered . I agree with the first answer, and would add that this is something that you should consult with an attorney. You may be entitled to have some of your fees covered by your husband. A CIS is required to proceed in a divorce so that the Court has a statement of what your lifestyle is. Also, without a CIS a court can dismiss your claim in the divorce, you don't want that to happen.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. File an application in court requesting attorney fees for a retainer. In your certification state what you just stated here. He is up to no good.

4. David Perry Davis

2

Answered . As others have said - get to an attorney. You need to explore the limits of what is legal as far as getting information under these circumstances. If you can demonstrate he has the ability to provide a retainer, the court will order him to do so. Getting those proofs together is the key.

5. Brad Michael Micklin

Pro

1

Answered . The case information statement should be complete but is not expected to be accurate; it is a summary document. So, use your best estimates to answer it. Additionally, there are places to note where you can include footnotes as explanation and you should indicate that you are estimating because your husband has control of the documents.

Here is a free e-book that may help you prepare: http://info.njdivorceattorney.net/learn-the-fin...

You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas. I recommend you seek a law firm that concentrates in family law. This concentration allows the attorneys to better understand the issues and complexities of you matter.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your case.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
    The Micklin Law Group
    187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
    Nutley, NJ 07110
    973-562-0100
    Brad@Micklinlawgroup.com
    www.micklinlawgroup.com