Case dealing with visitation child support

Williamsville, NY |

difficult case because of opposing lawyer and individual involved

1. Please describe the situation in detail.
    douglas@kepanislaw.com
    www.kepanislaw.com

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. The individual is the other parent? :-)

Your lawyer can help with visitation. You are entitled to reasonable visitation, even if the other people involved are difficult. Bring a proceeding in family court to create and/or enforce a visitation schedule.

Your lawyer can also help with support, which is usually done in a separate proceeding before a support magistrate (I'm assuming the other parent resides in NYS as well). There, it's more cut and dried, based on a formula based on the parents' incomes and taken entirely from the non-custodial parents income, which your lawyer can explain to you.

As to the visitation and custody matters, there is usually free mediation services offered by the court where the parents try, with the help of a neutral referee, to resolve their differences directly and focus on the child's best interest. That will at least subtract the opposing lawyer from the equation and get the other parent to behave more reasonably.

3. Need more of the facts. Schedule a confidential appointment with an experienced family law attorney.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

4. Insufficient data

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

Child custody topics