Case close.

Baltimore, MD |

I received my chapter 7 discharge letter last week. How long does it take before the case closes?

1. usually almost immediately, but don't know if there is something else going on. do you have a lawyer, if so call and ask the question

This is not to be considered legal advise and no attorney client has been established.

2. If there are no assets to be administered by the trustee, then usually the trustee will file a notice with the court that there will be no distribution of estate assets to unsecured creditors. Soon after this notice is filed, the court will enter a discharge in the case. However, if there are assets to be liquidated, then your bankruptcy estate can remain open for a considerable amount of time. This fact might delay the entry of an order closing your bankruptcy case. Good Luck!

3. It depends. If there are no assets in the bankruptcy estate for the trustee to administer, then the closing of the case should occur reasonably soon after the trustee files a 'no asset' report. If there are assets to administer, then the case will remain open until the trustee liquidates all assets and makes a distribution as authorized by the Court. In the latter instance, this could take some time (especially if there is litigation involved).

By using this web site and this question-answer forum, you understand and agree that no response or information is being provided in the context of any attorney-client relationship and that nothing herein is intended to constitute legal advice. This response is solely informational in nature, not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed and retained attorney in your state, and should not be so used. I make no representations or warranties as to the timeliness, availability, accuracy, or completeness of any information contained in this response. The response provided may become outdated over time. Please note that I will not undertake any action to correct or update any content or information in this response and reserve the right to alter or delete content and information at any time.