Car with basic insurance coverage, No comprehensive or collision burned due to house fire?

Asked about 3 years ago - Plattsburgh, NY

My car was parked at my mothers house for the night(2010 nissan versa) and her house caught fire and melted the entire passenger side of the car inside and outside. My auto insurance wont cover it because all i had was basic liability no collision or comprehensive coverage. Home owners insurance said the wont cover it either, even though her house burned my car.IF HER HOUSE DIDNT BURN I WOULD STILL BE DRIVING MY CAR TODAY. The blue book value on the car is $10,195. How can i get the money i paid for the car back .

It was only a year old and had 28,000 miles on it. And if i am to sue the home owners insurance what kind of lawer am i looking for?

1. Daniel Flanzig

Answered . Why did the house burn? If there is a person or company responsible for the fire, like a defective stove, they would also be responsible for the damage to your car. If your mom was responsible, her home owners liability insurance should indemnify her if a claim is bought against her for the damage to your car. They are probably denying the claim because it was made under the property damage portion of the policy and not the liability portion. Do you live with your mom? This may effect the policy coverage as well. You should speak to a lawyer in your area who handles property damage claims.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . You have to sue your mother; the real party in interest is the homeowner's carrier. They will provide a defense and indemnify (pay); unless, the disclaim/deny. Good luck.

3. Jonathan S Willett

Answered . Hello-

You should look at the homeowner's actual insurance policy (if she still has it). If not request a copy, and then look at it. Some policies may have a specific exclusion, some do not. The terms of the policy will determine whether the company has to cover it or not. Most of the time, they say the won't cover, even if they have to.

Jonathan S. Willett

Pro

1

Answered . Find out the responsible party for the fire. Defective furnace, stove, etc?

Click on name or picture to see profile page.