Car totaled and insurance company is low-balling me... What next?

Hollywood, FL |

My car was totaled in South Florida and my insurance company has offered me roughly $1800 less than the actual value of my car (Progressive). Although they have used really good comps for their value, they've made nearly $2000 in deductions based on the interior and external condition of the car (normal wear and tear). I've told my adjuster that I don't think the price is fair, even with carpet stains, fogged headlights, and "window pitting." However, she seems undaunted. Is there any thing else that I can do to get an increase in my pay-out? I've heard they are supposed to pay me sales tax in Florida? Is this true? I am uncertain as to my next move. Any advice would is greatly appreciated!

If you were injured, you should hire an attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.

The answer is in the details... Especially in the details of the "offer". You're best served herring an attorney Involved to assist you.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Shiner is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Shiner strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about David I. Shiner or the Shiner Law Group, P.A. please call our office at (561) 368-3363 or toll free at 1 (855) 368-3363 or visit website at www.ShinerLawGroup.com or www.InCourt.com

Have a local insurance lawyer help resolve this.

If you sustained injuries consult an attorney and they will assist you through the property damage phase of a claim in addition to getting you a settlement for your injuries.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

As others have pointed out if you have an attorney for your personal injuries, he/she should be able to assist you on the PD issue. Unfortunately, in Florida, you can't simply file just a suit for property damage, and later file a suit for your personal injuries. They all need to be done in the same litigation. If you have collision coverage, sometimes, you can get a better deal, even assuming you have a deductible, with your carrier and then they can go after the other carrier for their money and hopefully your deductible (if applicable). It is complicated and you don't want to do the wrong thing, especially if you have injuries. I'd again call a personal injury lawyer, such as myself, for further consultation b/f doing anything.

Get an attorney involved and you will likely see the offer improve. The presence of an attorney can sometimes motivate an insurance company to up its offer. Best of luck.

Hire assure to sue your insurance company or do it in small claims court yourself.

Your insurance company only has to reimburse you for the value of the vehicle at the time of the crash. So you need to find some close comparisons on line. Look at auto trader, or some other on line car sales service to find out. Submit it to the adj. and negotiate hard. Don't let up. Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer: To learn more about attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm 888-254-7119 or visit our homepage at www.LigoriCappyLaw.com. Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com