Car repair after an accident - who to contact to claim for diminished value, physical damage adjuster or claims adjuster?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

My car has been repaired with a cost very substantial. Now, I like to claim for diminished value since the resale value of my car went down due to this accident. Who should I contact from insurance? Do I need to discuss this with the physical damage adjuster who work with the shop in getting my car fixed? Or do I need to call 1-800 number and discuss with the claims adjuster to file a claim for diminished value? Please shed some light CA attorneys!!

1. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

5

Answered . Although you are legally entitled to claim diminished value, carriers are very stubborn in paying these claims. If you put the property damage claim through your own carrier, you should contact the assigned property damage adjuster to discuss. If this was an accident caused by another person and you submitted it to their carrier, you should also contact the assigned adjuster there. You will probably need to get a report from an person competent to attest to the amount of diminished value (i.e. an "expert") which will run you a few bucks. They will probably refuse to pay it unless you (a) threaten arbitration in the case of your own carrier; or (b) threat to sue or actually sue the at fault driver (small claims would be best bet for cost effectiveness).

Pro

4

Answered . Usually an expert is needed to establish diminished value.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. George Costas Andriotis

3

Answered . You should retain an attorney to further discuss possibilities because diminished value claims are very difficult to pursue.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.