Car repair after an accident - who to contact to claim for diminished value, physical damage adjuster or claims adjuster?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fremont, CA

My car has been repaired with a cost very substantial. Now, I like to claim for diminished value since the resale value of my car went down due to this accident. Who should I contact from insurance? Do I need to discuss this with the physical damage adjuster who work with the shop in getting my car fixed? Or do I need to call 1-800 number and discuss with the claims adjuster to file a claim for diminished value? Please shed some light CA attorneys!!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven Mark Sweat


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Although you are legally entitled to claim diminished value, carriers are very stubborn in paying these claims. If you put the property damage claim through your own carrier, you should contact the assigned property damage adjuster to discuss. If this was an accident caused by another person and you submitted it to their carrier, you should also contact the assigned adjuster there. You will probably need to get a report from an person competent to attest to the amount of diminished value (i.e. an "expert") which will run you a few bucks. They will probably refuse to pay it unless you (a) threaten arbitration in the case of your own carrier; or (b) threat to sue or actually sue the at fault driver (small claims would be best bet for cost effectiveness).

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Usually an expert is needed to establish diminished value.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
  3. George Costas Andriotis

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should retain an attorney to further discuss possibilities because diminished value claims are very difficult to pursue.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Jon Mitchell Jackson

Automobile Accidents

Most people are not aware of the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Americans collectively drive almost three trillion miles... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,149 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,149 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering