Car Insurance Coverage-All In The Family

Jamaica, NY |

My husband and I each have our own cars. We are covered by the same insurance company (multi care policy).

My car is a 1998 in excellent condition, however due to its age I dropped the collision. MY husbands car is a 2011 with full coverage.

We were told by a friend (not the insurance company) that if my husband is driving my car and involved in an auto accident that any repairs would be covered under his insurance policy since he has full coverage.

Is this correct?

No, that is not correct. Coverage follows the vehicle, not the person.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

2. No -- not the collision coverage as that goes with the car -- but double check by calling your agent!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. Friends may be well intentioned, but ...

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

4. As my colleagues wrote, auto insurance is tied to the vehicle, not the driver. To be sure, check with your broker or insurance company.

The Schlitt Law Firm and Carol L. Schlitt provide answers for informational purposes only. If this answer is helpful, please mark the “helpful” button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thank you. We are a plaintiffs-only, personal injury and medical malpractice law firm representing clients in the New York metropolitan area. We offer personal services built on the values of communication, education and responsiveness. Please understand that legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who has a familiarity with the law concerning your question. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you are in the New York metropolitan area, feel free to call us at 1-800-660-1466 or contact our website www.SchlittLaw.com and I will see if we can help you.

5. He is not correct. Your coverage pertains to each car, not the individual.

You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-0932; Cell (484) 769-5855; robingraylaw.com This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.

6. No, it is not correct. You can verify this by speaking with your insurance broker.