Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

Car hit from the back with family inside

Yesterday we got hit from the rear by a car that turned out from a street and only saw the green light not looking ahead with heavy traffic run straight into our back. My 4 year old got hurt. Her hand got hurt and plastered up until we follow up with a bone specialist. I have back pain and will be seeing therapist soon. My husband the driver said he will be fine. For now I am keeping my daughter home. What should I do in terms of medical

New York, NY -

Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

Under NY law, your auto policy includes "no-fault" coverage, which, generally speaking, will pay the medical bills for all treatment needed due to the injuries suffered in the accident. First, report this accident to your insurance carrier immediately; second, be sure to ask for "no-fault applications", which must be filed within 30 days of the date of accident in order to receive the above noted no-fault benefits. Next - RETAIN AN ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY, who will likely assist you with all needed filings and will help protect your interests. As the car struck yours in the rear while you were stopped, that driver will be held liable, as a matter of law, for causing your accident. If you want to contact this office, all other questions you have can be answered.

Jeffrey I. Schwimmer, Esq.
20 Vesey Street - Suite 1200
New York,, NY 10007
(212) 344-6700
JSchwimmerEsq@verizon.net
JSchwimmerEsq@att.net

Anthony A. Ferrante

Anthony A. Ferrante

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

The best advice you will receive for the immediate future is to make sure you are examined and treated, if needed, by a physician you trust. You should certainly make sure that your daughter's hand was not damaged structurally and also have your own lower back condition checked out. You are already seeking this care, so it seems that you are in good shape there.

Your entire family is covered under New York's no-fault insurance. All of your medical bills should be submitted through your own vehicle's insurance company, including any hospital emergency room, physical therapy and specialist's treatment. In order to ensure that this coverage is available to you and your family you should immediately report the accident to your insurance carrier. They will forward you a set of no-fault forms which must be completed within 30 days of the accident and returned to them. It is very important that you meet this deadline.

If it turns out that your injuries and those of your daughter are more significant than you originally expected you should seek counsel from a local personal injury lawyer. Even if you are not sure about your injuries it may be in your best interest to contact an attorney so that your rights and obligations are explained at the outset. Most offer a free consultation and some, including my firm, will handle the no-fault submissions and claim as a courtesy to their clients while the personal injury case is being prosecuted.

Good luck!

Brian Andrew Trodden

Brian Andrew Trodden

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Smithtown, NY

I agree with the answers from the other attorneys who have responded. You must get the medical attention that you and your family need. New York State is a "No Fault" state, meaning that regardless of who is at fault, no fault insurance will pay for all of your current medical bills for injuries suffered in the accident, so there should be no impediment to your getting the treatment you need. You will also need to speak with an experienced and knowledgeable attorney soon. It is important to have your attorney notify your inusrance company of the potential that the other driver had no insurance, or was underinsured, so that you can have the maximum amount of insurance available to cover the full potential damages. This must do this as soon as possible. We have 25 years of experience in handling all aspects of motor vehicle accident cases. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

Submit a no-fault insurance form to your auto carrier to get your medical bills and lost wages paid. I suggest you retain a personal injury lawyer before doing anything else.

Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - New York, NY

For anyone that was injured, you should seek medical care and submit the bills to the No Fault insurance company for the car that you were in. You can also contact a personal injury attorney to seek compensation for your daughters injury and perhaps others in the vehicle.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Centennial, CO

First and foremost, seek the medical care you needs. Next, look for an attorney that works personal injury matters to make sure all of your rights are protected. That applies to both you and your daughter!

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Personal Injury Lawyer - Northridge, CA

Absolutely contact one of the fine local NY personal injury attorneys who responded to your question - most will offer a free initial consultations, so it is a win-win situation. Most important I hope your & your daughter recover quickly from your injuries. Best wishes

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Consult with a local personal injury lawyer. Family members who are injured are entitled to lost wages and medical bills to be covered under no fault of the car they. Are in. Separate lawsuit against other car's owner and driver are possible for pain and suffering.

James Joseph Cupero

James Joseph Cupero

Personal Injury Lawyer - Goshen, NY

Contact the insurer of the car you occupied. Under our no fault law in NY regardless of fault that company is responsible to pay the bills in accordance with no fault rates. You should consult a personal injury lawyer in your area to assist you and preserve your rights.

William K. Mattar

William K. Mattar

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Williamsville, NY

Fill out and file your no-fault application as soon as possible but no later than 30 days after the accident. You want to consider filing an application for every one in your family that was in the car. It is likely that your husband may be more hurt then he thinks that he is on the day of the accident. Look for a law firm that focuses on car accidents.
An investigation should be started ASAP. Act now. Good luck.

Thomas J Lavin

Thomas J Lavin

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

First and foremost, I would direct all of my time and attention to the medical needs of your daughter as it relates to this accident. The insurance company of the vehicle you were in is required to pay at least $50,000 in PIP (Personal Injury Protection) Benefits. However, you must file the necessary paperwork with that insurance company within 30 days of the accident, or you risk losing this benefit. I would seek a specialist relative to your daughter's injuries, and I would stay away from the general practitioners. I would also recommend that both you and your husband seek medical treatment for any and all injuries that you suffered as a result of this accident. To the extent that any injury suffered by you and your family rises to the level of being a “serious injury” under New York State law, then you would have the option to file a claim against the other driver. In summary, after attending to the medical aspect of this matter, I would definitely consult with a personal injury attorney. Generally the consultation with the attorney is free, and that is the policy of my office.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

First thing you should do is retain a personal injury lawyer, and don't give any statements to insurance co.

Related Advice