Skip to main content

Car accident with severe injury to other party. Not insured

Austin, TX |

Attorneys involved and judgement placed against me and I was uninsured. I have no assets and all money has gone to my attorney. Can they garnish wages or freeze my account? I have less than 3 k now which will go towards attorney fee and fines and judgement is 70 k. How can I ever pay this??

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You will need to make arrangements and your attorney can help you with this. I suggest you call him in the morning.

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  2. Contact a debtor / creditor / bankruptcy attorney immediately. He / she will best be able to tell you how to handle this.

    This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.

  3. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

  4. I'm not sure why you were driving without insurance, and a local lawyer could help work something out with the attorney instead of having to declare bankruptcy and risk ruining your credit for the next decade.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  5. To answer your specific questions first, "no, they can't garnish your wages" and "yes they can freeze your (bank) account".

    You have two big picture choices here. Pay off the debt over time, or avoid paying the debt.
    Yes, it will take a long time to pay off a $70,000 debt, but you can do it over a long period of time, and if you do so by agreement with the injured party, you may be able to avoid the relatively high interest rate that is included in most Texas judgments.

    So, option A is to ask your lawyer to make contact with the other side and try to reach a payout agreement with this one judgement creditor.

    Option B is to avoid paying the debt as best you can. That will probably require you to file bankruptcy and for that, you will need to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer for advise.

    Option C is your least effective choice and that involves ignoring the judgement and living without a bank account, moving, hiding your assets, living without credit or a good credit rating and basically staying under the "judgment proof" label for as long as you can.

    Option C is certainly possible in Texas and many people do live that way, but options A and B are much more responsible and depending upon your age and station in life are probably going to be your best options.

    Good Luck to you.


Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics