Skip to main content

Car Accident With No Liability Insurance: "But I'm Not At Fault" im new to Oregon.

Portland, OR |

was rear ended.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I'm sorry, you haven't asked any question.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.


I'm sorry, you haven't asked a question here - and there's too little information to infer what you're hoping for. Please see this guide for some tips on how to write a question so as to get better answers:

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


In Oregon, the law says that if you are injured in a car accident, but don't have insurance, you can recover economic damages (like medical costs and lost wages) but you are not eligible to receive non-economic damages (like pain and suffering). I'm not clear on whether you don't have any auto insurance or just don't have liability, but if you were injured, consider contacting an Oregon personal injury attorney.


Your question is not clear, the most important thing to do is to contact an attorney to review the facts. Make sure to keep any important evidence and to collect the names and phone numbers of any witnesses. Also, if you have suffered any injuries, get necessary medical treatment. As others have noted, there are certain limitations to the damages you can recover if you do not have liability insurance.


I don't see a question.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


An attorney would need more detail from you to be able to fully advise you. Having said that, it sounds as though: (1) the driver of the other car was at fault; and (2) you were uninsured at the time. If I am correct in this regard, then you may, possibly, be prohibited from pursuing a claim for noneconomic damages (compensation for "pain and suffering") depending on how long ago you were last insured. ORS 31.715 is the Oregon law that applies in this regard. Note, however, that there are exceptions to the bar to recovering noneconomic damages for driving uninsured. Most importantly, if you were previously covered by an auto insurance policy within 180 days of the accident date, and you hadn't been convicted for driving uninsured at any time during the one-year period before your insurance policy lapsed, then you can still seek noneconomic damages as a part of your claim against the responsible driver.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer