Car accident-three years too late to sue?

My friend was in a car accident (she was walking on the sidewalk and a car hit her) that left her with a crushed foot, a hurt leg and bad back. It's been three years from then and she wants to sue. Is it too late to sue someone when it was three years ago?

San Francisco, CA -

Frank Albert Ashton

Frank Albert Ashton

Personal Injury Lawyer - Jacksonville, FL

You do not say in which state this accident occurred. This is very important because, in most cases, the law of the state in which the accident occurred will govern the applicable statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is the period of time after an accident within which an action must be brought. If you don't file a lawsuit in that period of time, your claim is waived. In Florida, where I practice, the statute of limitations is 4 years. If this is not a Florida case, you should contact a lawyer in your state immediately to advise you of your rights and the applicable statute of limitations. If the statute has not yet run, your friend may very well have a case which can be brought.