Car accident injuries and negligence.

Asked 9 months ago - Manteca, CA

I just lost a small claims case with the judge only awarding me 500.00. I found out as a plaintiff I cant appeal it. However the person in my lawsuit was not driving the car. His friend borrowed his car and hit my child. Is it true that since the judge didnt mention her in his judgement and her name is no where on the law suit that I can sue her for negligence? She is the person that hit my car.

the issue preclusion or collateral estoppel found in the common law doctrine of res judicata is not present in the civilian doctrine

1. Jonathan Aaron Weinman

Pro

21

Answered . You need an attorney to best represent the interests of your child. Also, if you were awarded $500 in a small claims case, you did not lose, you just may not have received the amount you were asking for.

2. Wendy Marie Schenk

19

Answered . You should consult a personal injury attorney in your area. I know hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps had you done that in the beginning....you would not be facing these dilemmas. In California, there is what is called a "single action rule." That means you can't have separate lawsuits against separate people that all arise out of the same accident. You should have sued both the owner and the driver of the other car involved in the accident.

***The response is provided solely for general information purposes and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

18

Answered . Look up collateral estoppel and res judicata. If your daughter was (unfortunately) injured, why isn't her attorney advising you?

4. Olga V. Blotnis

18

Answered . You need to consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You do not have to pay them upfront, but they will be able to investigate and maybe fix the situation, especially for your child.
    Technically, you had one chance to bring a lawsuit against anyone who might have been at fault.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

17

Answered . I hope this was not your child's case that you brought in small claims court. You should have consulted with an experienced personal injury attorney. I hope your child's injuries were minor.

6. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

13

Answered . See prior answers.

Pro

14

Answered . Asked and answered

8. Albert Lee Crosner

12

Answered . You have received a large amount of answers. You need to get a personal injury attorney involved to help you out. Most will offer a free initial consultation; take advantage of that and talk to the attorney about your claim. Sorry to hear your daughter was hit by a car. AVVO has a tool to help you find a lawyer: http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer

9. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

9

Answered . All cases involve the analysis of many facts. Most attorneys offer a free consultation for personal injury cases. You should consult with a personal injury lawyer ASAP to figure out what else can be done for your claim and especially your child's claim.

10. David A. Papa

4

Answered . Seek an opinion from an experienced AVVO attorney who will be able to review what has been done and perhaps assist further.