Skip to main content

Car accident in Florida. The other car's full responsibility. Me and my parents are seriously injured. Car totally damaged.

Gainesville, FL |

On May 28th 2013 11pm,while I driving a mini cooper on a high way road 441 near Gainesville with my parents, a pickup hit us from behind. My father broke 7 ribs and I still have an obvious scar on my forehead now. My mother hurt her ankle. My father suffered a serious depression after the car accident and now have to take the anti-depression medicine everyday. After the accident, I always feel that I'm too afraid to drive a car anymore. The other driver's insurance company already paid for my car, but we didn't receive any other compensations. (P.S. the at-fault driver had killed a couple 7 years ago in a car accident with his pickup). I'm looking for a attorney to help me, please feel free to contact me at or

Attorney Answers 15

  1. A tragedy as you have described is one which will require immediate attention of a skilled personal injury attorney. Under Florida law there is a presumption of negligence when the at fault driver rear ends another vehicle such as that occupied by you and your family. I would highly recommend that you and immediately contact counsel in Florida to conduct a thorough investigation of the accident and perceived with a claim against the at fault driver. Under Florida law when an injured party suffers scarring, permanent injury, or loss of the significant bodily function, they are entitled to pain and suffering and other noneconomic damages. You and your parents should immediately retain counsel has it is on ethical for attorneys to contact you directly as a result of your AVVO posting. I wish you and your family the best and hope that you heed this advice.

    All opinions expressed here are those of their authors and is not intended as and does not substitute for legal advice. If you have a legal issue or matter, please see your attorney for evaluation of your individual case. Under no circumstances will the authors be liable to you for any direct or indirect damages arising in connection with use of this web site. The appearance of external hyperlinks to other web sites does not constitute endorsement. We do not verify, endorse, or take responsibility for the accuracy, currency, completeness or quality of the content contained in these sites. Robert L. Gardana, PA

  2. That sounds like a horrible accident to have been involved in and I'm sure its been difficult for you and your parents. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't really function as a jobs bulletin board, so you may not get much in the way of a response to your post. You will have to take the initiative and contact attorneys to find one to represent you. Otherwise, you need to consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you who can investigate and give you guidance as to how to proceed. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  3. That sounds terrible. You need an experienced accident attorney in the Central Florida area to help you. I strongly suggest you look at the AVVo profiles,of such attorneys - like the attorneys responding to your question. Responsiveness , knowledge, and client interaction is key. Look at AVVO client reviews and find out what actual clients have said about their own experience with a particular accident attorney. I hope this is helpful for you, and sincerely hope you get the help you and your parents need..

  4. You have to contact the lawyer. If the lawyer contacts you directly, the lawyer can be punished by the Florida Bar (and also forfeit the right to charge a fee).

    All of you sound like you have cases worth pursuing. There is a presumption of negligence when you are hit from behind like you described. Each of you has damages from the injuries from the crash.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

  5. Please use AVVO's "Find An Attorney" tool at the bottom on this page. We cannot contact you.

    You need to hire an attorney who knows how insurance companies think and act. The first step is to determine if this person has bodily injury coverage and/or an umbrella policy, and rule out omnibus coverage. If he doesn't have coverage, then I'd look at your and your parents' policies to ensure you have UM coverage (or a valid waiver).

    There's a lot to be done here, so please, contact one of us today.

    I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not respond to inquiries about legal representation in other areas of law, so please do not call me about matters outside my areas of practice. Furthermore, my answers on Avvo do not create an attorney-client relationship. Avvo is not designed for the type of legal analysis I personally require to accept a case. You should always seek a consultation with a licensed attorney who practices in the specific area of law who can fully review the facts of your case.

  6. I am sorry for your troubles. As mentioned, I think it is necessary for you to contact an attorney yourself rather then have one of us contact you. It sounds like there is fault on the other vehicle and serious injuries in this case. The amount of recovery could be significant, IF, there is thee right kind of insurance on the pickup, or there is UM (uninsured/underinsured) on your vehicle. This accident is nearly a year old and I would suggest you do not hesitate to call upon one of us on AVVO as soon as possible. My concern is that there is no BI liability on the truck involved as is too often the case in Florida.

    This response is to provide general legal information and does not constitute legal advice nor should it be considered or viewed as forming any sort of attorney-client relationship and such information provided is viewable by the general public.

  7. That is terrible. I am sorry this happened. You should definitely call an attorney today.

  8. I'm sorry you and your parents were involved in such a severe accident and are now suffering. You definitely need to contact an attorney to represent you. Good luck with your attorney search and Go Gators!

  9. I am very sorry about your situation. I agree with everyone else that without question you should contact a local personal injury attorney immediately. He/she will be able to assist you, your mother, and your father.

  10. You should find a lawyer through AVVO or a local bar association or get a recommendation from someone you trust. I'm surprised that a year has gone by already. Did the other driver have bodily injury liability coverage? do you have U.M. coverage?

  11. I'm sorry. Anybody who has been the victim in a car accident can knows how upsetting this is for the whole family. You need an experienced accident attorney to help you. You can look at the AVVO profiles,of such attorneys and follow up with phone calls to the prospective attorney. Make sure you feel comfortable with who you choose. You and your parents need to be protected through this process. Hang in there.

  12. I suggest finding an experienced auto accident attorney in your area of Florida. You and your family may be entitled to benefits and financial compensation depending on the circumstances of your accident, who was at fault, etc.

  13. The bottom line is that you need to talk to a personal injury lawyer earlier rather than later. I get calls every day from people injured in an accident of some sort, telling me that they thought the adjuster was nice until they saw the offer. The bottom line for insurance companies is money. If they can settle a case on the cheap, then they have succeeded. In fact, that nice adjuster you are talking to likely does not make the decision about how much they offer. Many insurance companies have computer programs where they enter medical codes and injuries in, and the program spits out a number. Additionally, the insurance company knows that on average, unrepresented parties tend to settle for less. On the flip side, as soon as a suit is filed, the offers tend to increase – sometimes dramatically.
    A great example of where insurance companies’ loyalty lies was a call I received some time ago. A woman called me in tears. She had been in an accident 6 months ago. At first, there was not too much pain. A week later she got an adjuster at her door offering $500. This was a lot of money for the client and she took it. And signed a full release. After that, her pain got worse. She later got an MRI and discovered she needed a discectomy where the neurosurgeon surgically removes herniated disc/bulging disc material that presses on a nerve root or the spinal cord. Unfortunately she had signed the release and there was nothing she could do. Bottom line is you need to protect yourself and a personal injury attorney is the way to do that. We can protect your rights and help you navigate the insurance maze.

  14. I would suggest you speak with an attorney as soon as possible. There are statutes of limitations which may apply to your case. Meaning, you have a specific amount of time to present a claim for damages after the alleged negligence. Your claim may be forever barred if you attempt to bring it after this time has lapsed. Your attorney will take the appropriate action once retained.

  15. Awful. Call an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately. One of us would happily help you.

    Our office accepts clients off of Avvo, but this initial impression is not protected by any privilege, is not attorney-client communication and you should consult a lawyer promptly about any legal matter.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics