Car accident in a rental car w/ no insurance - Not my fault - other parties insurance is contacting me.

Asked 12 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I was in a fender bender in a rental car. I was rear ended; rental car was fine, the other one had some damage to the bumper and headlight. The other party did not have any information (insurance, registration) on him at the time and requested we not contact the police. Since there was no damage to the rental car, and since I have no car insurance, I agreed. We exchanged phone numbers and left it at that.

I returned the rental and 2 weeks later I get a call from his insurance wanting to know all the information about the accident, rental car, my insurance, etc. I have not called them back. What is my obligation here? I have no insurance and my fear is that by talking to them I am opening myself up to a lot of potential liability? What happens if I just ignore the calls?

1. David Lee Fiol

6

Answered . Do not talk to them, but you should report the accident and discuss the situation with the agency that rented the car to you. If the other driver is making up a story that puts you at fault, the owner of the car has some liability, and your rental agreement most likely obliges you to inform that agency of accidents, regardless of who is at fault.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . If you ignore the calls, you may simply get sued. I say call them back and I say call the rntal car company to report the situation. Sometimes the second voice to be heard is not given the benefit of the doubt.

3. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

2

Answered . I would strongly recommend that you not communicate with the opposing party's insurance carrier until you have spoken with an attorney and reviewed all pertinent details of your case. As the other attorneys suggested, I would be highly suspicious of what he may have told his insurance carrier. For over 20 years, I have represented clients throughout California to get them the compensation they deserve for their injuries. The fact of the matter is that the insurance company is just looking for a way to not pay for the damages to the car and you need someone to protect your rights. I hope that I can be of service to you.

4. Mariam Mary Margaryan

2

Answered . I agree with the previous responses that you should not speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance and report the collision to the rental company. However, your question is unclear whether or not you have separate auto insurance coverage as opposed to insurance purchased from the rental company. If you have separate auto insurance coverage, report the claim to your insurance and they will conduct their own investigation.

5. Tanya Marie Bachand

3

Answered . I agree, I would be concerned that he told his insurance company that you caused the damage, who knows?

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Pro

3

Answered . Have one of the above lawyers in your state investigate