Car accident case dismissed but need help

Asked 7 months ago - Fremont, CA

I was involved in an accident in 2009. The other party filed as case against me in 2011 but later dismissed the case without prejudice. I believe they got their money from their insurance. Now the insurance company filed a case against me but when I fought back they dismissed the case with prejudice. Can the original party still file a case against me because they dismissed the case without prejudice.

1. David Lee Fiol

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . Since their insurance company filed suit against you it must have compensated the other party as you suspect. When that happens they have forfeited their right to sue you and assigned it to the insurer. The only claim the other party would have would be for their deductible, if even that, so their claim would not be significant. Even more importantly the statute of limitations for personal injury claims has expired, and if this is about damage to the car it may have expired (it is 3 years).

2. Michael David Myers

Pro

10

Answered . Speak with an attorney to determine whether the statute of limitations has run.

3. Jannik Patrick Catalano

7

Answered . It's a two year limitation to sue on this type of matter, so this appears problematic, and needs to be looked at by a professional.

Also, the ability to sue would depend on the release (if one was even signed).

The case is dismissed per your question, so it doesn't appear to be a present issue, but things don't quite add up so you should consider talking to an attorney to assess the situation.

Good luck!

4. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

6

Answered . HAVE you been sued again? If not, what's the problem?

5. Nareg Sarkis Kitsinian

6

Answered . The statute of limitations for a personal injury claim (2 years) has likely already run. However an experienced attorney can look into the matter and give you a more definite answer.

6. David Ian Schoen

6

Answered . Your facts are unclear. In order to give you a meaningful response you need to provide clearer details as to what happened.

7. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

3

Answered . You are OK. Four years have elapsed. Both the SOL for personal injuries (2 years) and the SOL(3 years) for property damage have expired. You are free to go about!! Best of luck.

Pro

4

Answered . Have a local lawyer investigate the situation