Car accident case

Asked 11 months ago - Irvine, CA

On 9/25/2013 I was hit directly by a car when I crossed the crossroad with the pedestrian green light on. I have hired an attorney by contacting the assitant via the yellow page on 9/27/2013. I have been directed to see a doctor about 4 to 5 times now. Up to now I have not seen or talked to the attorney. I do not feel comfortable with that assistant. I may want to rehire any accident attorney now. Can I have any attorney to take over this case? Thanks

1. Malosack Berjis

14

Answered . Sorry to hear about your accident. To answer your question, you absolutely have the right to have another attorney take over your case. Hope this helps.

2. Robert Steven Walch

12

Answered . You should ask to speak with the attorney. If the attorney is not available, you should tell the assistant to have the attorney call you right away. You can have any attorney represent you and can change attorneys at any time.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

11

Answered . Some excellent attorneys advertise (may I respectfully include myself). That said, arguably the best way to choose an attorney is through recommendations. Regardless, an attorney should always respond to reasonable requests for contact within a reasonable time (in my view, within 24 hours). You have the right to change lawyers. The sooner the better. Good luck.

4. Francis M Smith

Pro

10

Answered . yes, but tell the assistant first you feel this way and ask to speak with or meet with the attorney.

5. Raymond Jacob Zolekhian

8

Answered . Yes. You have the right to change attorneys.

6. Alan Ray Barnes

8

Answered . You indicate that you "hired an attorney by contacting the assistant." But you can only hire an attorney on a contingency basis by signing a written contract. Did you sign a fee agreement?

Even if you did, you can change lawyers at any time. You might try the "Find a Lawyer" tool on this website, or ask your friends for referrals. But I for one would be extremely hesitant to hire an attorney I hadn't met.

7. Thomas Edwin Martin

7

Answered . You should not only be able to speak to your attorney at any time, but he or she should have gone out of their way to meet with you personally. You are not getting the service that you deserve and for which the attorney expects to take a fee. Change now. There are others out there who would break a leg to meet personally with you.

Pro

7

Answered . You shouldn't just get any attorney.....get a top-rated Avvo attorney....

9. Michael Shemtoub

4

Answered . I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is your gut instinct is right that you may need to hire a new lawyer and you have right to switch at anytime without talking to the lawyer. Moreover it sounds like the accident is completely the other persons fault so you don't want this case to become a difficult one because of lack of inattention. Our firm does not usually settle cases until the client is 100%. We look at the case as a whole and attempt to figure out what the settlement should be. The insurance company will make you believe that your case is worth very little... Regarding pain and suffering, you need to speak to an experienced attorney that can strategize your case. Just because you were in an accident doesn't mean you have pain and suffering, at least thats what the insurance companies think. Make no doubt about it you have a great case, but you need help from a professional. You are entitled to your medical bills being covered as well.

Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hired can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case. There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled cases and/or spoken to clients in the Irvine, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that the insurance company will offer you by yourself. Make your life easier and call an attorney today, you won't regret it. We give free consultations!

10. Robert Bruce Kopelson

4

Answered . Be careful of firms where you don't get to meet with the atty, and they direct you to a doctor or chiropractor. If I were you, Id consult with another injury lawyer in your area asap, and make sure you meet with the atty him/herself. If you are going to switch attys, the sooner the better.

11. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

3

Answered . I would ask to speak with the attorney. Most of us are happy to talk to clients if the client doesn't feel comfortable with how their case is going.

That said, most attorneys also have to employ assistants, case managers, paralegals etc. in order to coordinate medical care and keep everyone's file organized and on track, so you won't deal with the attorney only at a law firm most times.