Car accident and other insurance wants to pay for repair. am I breaking the law if I decide not to repair my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - East Palo Alto, CA

The insurance agreed to pay for repairs and I am not sure if I wanna repair the car. So I am thinking of just keeping the check. Will probably be paid for repair AND RENTAL fees for the time it would have taken.

1. Marc Lazarus

6

Answered . You have the right to retain the money and not repair the vehicle.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com

2. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

7

Answered . You are not breaking the law unless your claim is fraudulent. If you receive monies for estimated repairs and rental fees and choose to pocket them that is your prerogative. However, if you decide later that you really do need to make the repairs you cannot ask for more money from the insurance company down the road since you have already been "compensated" for the repair costs.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

6

Answered . You are not breaking the law unless you are telling a lie to the insurance carrier.

Good luck!

4. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

4

Answered . You can keep the check. However you run the risk that if you subsequently want to repair the car and once that process begins they find additional damage you are unlikely to get that paid for - whereas repairing now it all gets taken care of.

Pro

4

Answered . They may want to send the check directly to the auto body shop.

6. Michael Shemtoub

1

Answered . Nope! You're not breaking the law because the property damage is real and occurred. Whether you decide to repair the property damage or not is your own choice.

7. Wendy Ha Chau

1

Answered . That is your property damage award. You can decide what you want to do with it. So no you are not breaking the law.