Car Accident. Trying to find a lawyer is not easy.

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I got rear ended while in motion - same direction of the traffic. Report favored the other party - stated what "possibly" happened - their story. My story - I was driving where I should be then I got hit from the back. No big injuries, but I just found out I will need therapy. I got neck/back/shoulder pains. Did not get medical attention fast enough - issue w/ ins. I heard other party is claiming injuries. All I want to do is defend myself; too many things are complicating things. I must be approaching this wrong. If I want to pursue getting a lawyer to just represent me - so I don't stumble - where should I be looking? Or at least take a look at details and be able to tell me what I can do - versus to sorry we can't help you. I do understand they have a bottom line.

Nothing against personal injury lawyers.. you have your guidelines to be successful. How can I find a lawyer, or what type of lawyer should I be looking for, to help me - win or lose. Be able to tell me if it's a losing battle. What type of fees am I looking at? I am not rich... if I am - I would not be in this predicament. At the scene, police officer said report was not required, and its a he said/she said situation - and let the insurance duke it out. But the report is hurting me because it does not have my side of the story.

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

5

Answered . If you are injured and the other side is at fault you can make a claim. For that you can hire a personal injury attorney who represents plaintiffs (claimants). In that kind of case the lawyer will be paid a fee that is a percent of what is recovered for you. If you get nothing, the lawyer gets no fee. However, there may also be expenses and different lawyers handle that differently. I, for example, advance them, but get them back in addition to my fee out of any recovery. Some other lawyers have you pay them or make some other arrangment.

If you just want to be defended against a claim by the other driver, then your insurance company is responsible for getting you a lawyer. You must cooperate with your insurance company.

Do not give a statement to the other side's insurance company and get an attorney. I suggest yoiu get an attorney who is board certified in personal injury law and who only represents plaintiffs.

2. Sheadyn Reaves Rogers

4

Answered . You need a Tx personal injury lawyer, plain and simple. Most handle these cases on a contingency fee basis....a percentage of the total amount recovered. There are many personal injury lawyers in Houston. Keep trying to find one.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

5

Answered . Consult with an attorney in TX immediately. Rear end collisions are rarely deemed to be the fault of the driver who was rear ended.

4. John Gus Zgourides

2

Answered . Look on lawyers.com and Texas Board of Legal Specialization for a local personal injury trial lawyer.

John Zgourides
    www.zgourides.com