Car accident. No information exchanged. Can I still be liable? Was in a minor car accident. Some scratches on both cars

Asked about 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

At first, I asked if he wanted to exchange information, the guy said no. He went back into his car and discussed it with his friend and went back outside and ask for my personal information. I told him then we should get a police report. He told me never mind and that it was okay and drove off.We did not exchange insurance or personal information, , he didn't even ask for my name or number, and then he drove off.
Question, can he still track me down and blame me for this? I read about people filing for hit and run, it made me afraid that maybe he got my license number and call the police and said i did a hit and run. (had several witnesses around me when it happen and heard him saying it was okay and drove off) Should I take any action right now?

1. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

9

Answered . You should report the small event to your insurer for your own protection. Tell them exactly what you recorded here. That way if any claim is made you will be insured and defended.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

8

Answered . Just because the other guy says "never mind" about reporting the accident to the police does not mean you can't call and report the accident or file your own operators report. In one part of the post you indicated that he "ask for my personal information" and then in another part you indicated "We did not exchange insurance or personal information". So, yes, document everything.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

6

Answered . If your damages exceed $750 , you are required to report your accident to the DMV and you should also notify your insurer. Drivers frequently change their minds about reporting accidents. Do so and protect yourself. Best of luck.

4. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

6

Answered . You can file a 'counter" report at the police station venued around the accident location. However, if you didn't get any information it will be hard to complete one. Nor will you be able to complete an SR-1 form for the DMV without the other party's information. If it is truly minor probably nothing will happen.

5. Michael R Crosner

5

Answered . If you know and/or can locate the witnesses be sure & obtain their telephone & addresses in case you need them later. I concur with the advise of the other attorneys who responded to your question.

6. Tanya Marie Bachand

6

Answered . If he got your license plate number and reported it, you can be sure the police will track you down, and then you can just tell your side of the story. I would not worry about this.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  7. Daniel Roman Tamez

Pro

4

Answered . As others have stated, you should report it to your own insurance company. If the other driver took a photo or wrote down your license plate, he can track you down. Did you get the information from the witnesses? If so, give that to your insurance company.

Pro

5

Answered . Always report every accident, or it will come back to bite you.