Car accident. Don't have personal injury coverage - what costs am I facing if I go to doctor, out of pocket?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cypress, TX

I was rear ended on an hi-way while vehicles moving. That was 4 days ago. Feeling a little sore. I want to see a doctor, I don't have personal injury coverage. I tried to schedule a doctors appointment but they said they handle billing of check up due to accidents differently. They told me its $75 to walk in for a check up. I worry that the bill might come back as a shocker. The at-fault is not yet determined.

I have health insurance coverage. Confused why I can't use my health insurance to cover expenses.

Update: Went to the doctor, had the check up anyway. Had to pay everything out-of-pocket, including x-rays. They will not accept my health insurance for a check up that could possibly be connected to a car accident. Will have to do google on this more :(.

1. Daniel David Horowitz III

4

Answered . Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunatley you are not alone in this situtation. This happens on a regular basis to people with not health insurance, no PIP and the at fault driver's insurance delays taking responsibility. It's a catch 22. The insurance company will claim you aren't hurt if you don't see a doctor because of financial reasons. They will argue you could have gone to the ER. People with no money can always be treated at the ER. As we all know, the ER will do nothing for you in this situation. If you go see an attorney first, then a doctor, they will argue the only reason you are seeking treatment is because your attorney told you to and you are trying to get more money for your case. It's completely unfair that you are put in this situation.

I recommend asking the doctor's office if they will accept a Letter of Protection or an assignment for payment of the bills after the matter is resolved with the at fault party's insurance. Next I would recommend you contact a personal injury attorney to help you with this situtaion.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

2

Answered . Call a local and qualified personal injury atorney for guidance.

3. David Wayne Hodges

Pro

Answered . The great thing about hiring a personal injury attorney is that he can usually find a doctor who will treat you under a letter of protection. This means that the doctor will not get paid until the case settles. In Texas, it's actually better for your case if you use a letter of protection vs. your own health insurance. Regardless, if you find yourself in this position again, you can always go to the ER to document your injuries. The sooner you get treatment the better it is for your claim for the reasons Daniel noted.