Car accident. Don't have personal injury coverage - what costs am I facing if I go to doctor, out of pocket?

Cypress, TX |

I was rear ended on an hi-way while vehicles moving. That was 4 days ago. Feeling a little sore. I want to see a doctor, I don't have personal injury coverage. I tried to schedule a doctors appointment but they said they handle billing of check up due to accidents differently. They told me its $75 to walk in for a check up. I worry that the bill might come back as a shocker. The at-fault is not yet determined.

I have health insurance coverage. Confused why I can't use my health insurance to cover expenses. Update: Went to the doctor, had the check up anyway. Had to pay everything out-of-pocket, including x-rays. They will not accept my health insurance for a check up that could possibly be connected to a car accident. Will have to do google on this more :(.

Call a local and qualified personal injury atorney for guidance.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

Would it be smart to tell the other party's insurer of my intent to go to the doctor after I said I wasn't hurt? It might not be due to the accident. I think it might be too soon to involve a lawyer? (looking for opinions)

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Never advisable to speak with the other insurance company without speaking to a professional. Contacting an attorney is, or should be, complementary. Call a lawyer and report this to your insurance company before you consider speaking with the adverse company.

Your first answer was the most useless, canned response ever. I wish there was a way to mark it as "unhelpful"

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Some people are pathetically ungrateful and for some people something for nothing is never enough. Good luck.

Why should anyone be grateful for "Go call an attorney"?? You're just fishing for clients, not actually be helpful to anyone.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Have a nice day :)

Exactly, no intelligent response, just "have a nice day". Another lawyer adding to the stereotype of money grubbing useless lawyers.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

On behalf of those of us you consider "money grubbing useless lawyers" it would be appreciated if you worked to dispel that myth. Clearly, you don't feel this way or you wouldn't be reaching out for free advise. Tell you what, I'll let you have the last word and won't comment again.

Thanks. My last word is "cucumber".

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunatley you are not alone in this situtation. This happens on a regular basis to people with not health insurance, no PIP and the at fault driver's insurance delays taking responsibility. It's a catch 22. The insurance company will claim you aren't hurt if you don't see a doctor because of financial reasons. They will argue you could have gone to the ER. People with no money can always be treated at the ER. As we all know, the ER will do nothing for you in this situation. If you go see an attorney first, then a doctor, they will argue the only reason you are seeking treatment is because your attorney told you to and you are trying to get more money for your case. It's completely unfair that you are put in this situation.

I recommend asking the doctor's office if they will accept a Letter of Protection or an assignment for payment of the bills after the matter is resolved with the at fault party's insurance. Next I would recommend you contact a personal injury attorney to help you with this situtaion.

It's not that I cant afford a check up... it's just that don't want to get a surprise on my bill later - like a few thousands - and nothing to cover it. The adjuster is on vacation so not getting answer today and maybe later next week. (just confused). Why couldn't my health insurance cover the bill?

Daniel David Horowitz III

Daniel David Horowitz III

Your health insurance should cover it. Go see the doctor today. Make sure they understand that your complaints are from the wreck and make sure you tell them everything that is bothering you. If you are experience any numbness or tingling in arms or legs you may have a more serious injury and need an MRI.

I called my doctor's office, and they forwarded me to their billing department and they told me they can't bill it on my health insurance.

Daniel David Horowitz III

Daniel David Horowitz III

That's BS. What if the wreck was your fault, would they still not take your health insurance. If they are in your network they are required to accept your insurance according the agreement they have with Blue Cross, Aetna, United Health Care etc.

Thanks. I'll walk-in to Urgent Care and see if I can be seen there.

The great thing about hiring a personal injury attorney is that he can usually find a doctor who will treat you under a letter of protection. This means that the doctor will not get paid until the case settles. In Texas, it's actually better for your case if you use a letter of protection vs. your own health insurance. Regardless, if you find yourself in this position again, you can always go to the ER to document your injuries. The sooner you get treatment the better it is for your claim for the reasons Daniel noted.

The answer provided is for general informational purposes only. You are strongly advised to contact an attorney in your jurisdiction to get their best advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed and you should contact your own attorney as soon as possible to avoid delay.