Car accident - no obvious damage to other car /driver but now got demand to pay 10,000 + Personal injury claim

Had insurance cover to pay up to 10,000 but now other driver is asking for 100,000. I am student, no job, no money...,what do I do. My co is making offer to other side for 10000 but if they don't take it what do I need to do next.

Tampa, FL -

Don Paul Harvey

Don Paul Harvey

Personal Injury Lawyer - Maitland, FL

If you have up to $100K in BI limits, your carrier will handle this for you. If they can't settle it and suit is filed, the carrier will employ defense to defend the file for you. Just be sure to cooperate with them. They can deny a policy based on non-compliance, so don't give them a reason.

Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Personal Injury Lawyer - Parsippany, NJ

If you are sued, immediately get an insurance defense attorney to represent you.

David J. McCormick

David J. McCormick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Milwaukee, WI

They can demand anything they want, but it does not mean they will get it. Most insurance companies equate minimal property damage = no injury. They have many defenses they can use in settlement or trial if necessary.
Your insurance company will represent you if they end up suing you. If there is a verdict in excess of your insurance limits then you possible have a bad faith claim against your own insurance company.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Let your insurance company resolve it.

Benjamin L Crawford

Benjamin L Crawford

Personal Injury Lawyer - Brandon, FL

If you have only $10,000 in coverage and they are asking for $100,000, your insurance company is very unlikely to pay that, especially if there is minimal Property Damage. It is very likely that the other attorney will request a financial and insurance affidavit(s). If you have no assets or additional insurance, it is likely that the attorney will accept your policy limits. Your insurer should provide an attorney to counsel you on the issues and you always have the right to consult with another attorney of your own choosing.

This question and response does not establish any attorney/client relationship.
Christopher Steven Hoffmann

Christopher Steven Hoffmann

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Saint Louis, MO

If a car accident results in a injury or property claim in excess of your insurance policy, hiring a personal attorney to represent your interest in necessary. A local attorney practicing law in this area should be able to help.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at http://www.hoffmannpersonalinjury.com.