Capital Gain Tax Liability

Asked over 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

We bought the house I live in in 1955 for $23K My spouse died in 2009 and the house was appraised at $850K. What are my capital gain tax liabilities if I sell the house? What will be my heirs’ tax liabilities if I hold it till my death? I am 91 yrs old.

1. Rebecca Romero-Vigil

Pro

Answered . Steve gave a very good and detailed answer. One more thing to add, make sure you have drafted your revocable trust with your intentions that your heirs receive the house. Otherwise, your estate will have to go through probate and that will require attorneys (and their fees). Visit my website to see what is typically included in a trust package.

2. Rebecca Romero-Vigil

Pro

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.
    IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH REQUIREMENTS IMPOSED BY THE IRS, WE INFORM YOU THAT ANY U.S. FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS COMMUNICATION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS) IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, FOR THE PURPOSE OF(I) AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OR (II) PROMOTING, MARKETING, OR RECOMMENDING TO ANOTHER PARTY ANY TRANSACTION OR MATTER ADDRESSED HEREIN.

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . Your basis in the house is comprised of two parts. The first is your half of the basis which includes the price paid plus improvements. So if you originally paid 23,000 and let us assume that you put $107,000 in improvements as of your wife's death the total basis before your wife's death would be $130,000. At that point your basis changed since you get a step up in basis for your wife's share to the fair market value at the date of your wife's death. So if the house was worth $850,000 then her 1/2 would be $425,000. As a result, your basis in the house would be $490,000 under my hypothetical (your 1/2 original basis of $65,000 plus the 1/2 step up in basis of $425,000). So if you sell for say 900,000 your gain would be $410,000. Under federal law, the first $250,000 would be tax free, so you would pay a capital gain tax on $160,000. However, note that if you do nothing your beneficiaries would get a step up in basis to the date of death value and have no capital gains at all if they sell the property near the time of your death.
    It probably makes sense to do nothing, at least from a tax perspective.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.

*********************************************************************************************************
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 9.7 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

One or more answers have been taken down.