Cannot find a will, what are my options

person that passed away had a will. what can i do if this will cannot be found?

New York, NY -

Attorney Answers (5)

Joseph Allen Bollhofer

Joseph Allen Bollhofer

Probate Attorney - Saint James, NY

Do you have a copy? There is a procedure in NY by which a copy might be
admitted to probate as a valid will. Also, contact the attorney who drafted
the will. He or she might have the original or a conformed copy. You likely
will need to retain an attorney for this.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, Esq.

Joseph A. Bollhofer, P.C.

291 Lake Ave.

St. James, NY 11780


fax (631)584-2304

Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly

IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax
advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
addressed herein.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed
to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be
deemed to have been created.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no... more
Sponsored Listing
Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

In NY if you do not have a will, the file an administration proceeding.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
Michael S. Haber

Michael S. Haber

Probate Attorney - New York, NY

My colleagues all give you good advice. There is just a point or two that I want to add. First, you say that the decedent "had a will." The fact that someone once had a will does not mean that the will existed at the time of that person's death. Most people don't realize that the "formal" ceremony to revoke a will is no more complicated than ripping it up and throwing it away.

Beyond that, it's time to start rounding up the "usual suspects" as to where that will might be (assuming it was not revoked). A good starting point is to ask the decedent's attorney, if you know who that was. You might also check to see if it was filed with the Surrogate's Court in the county in which the decedent lived at the time of his or her death. Although it is unusual to file a will before the person's death, it is sometimes done and, quite frankly, it's not a bad idea because that way the will cannot be lost.

Although a safe deposit box is not a good place to keep a will, some people insist on doing so. So you might at least check as to whether the decedent had a safe deposit box.

Now, if the original will cannot be found, as one of my colleagues noted, it is sometimes possible to probate a photocopy of the will. But that is a difficult proceeding in most cases, because one has to offer a cogent explanation as to what happened to the original of a "lost or destroyed" will.

If the will does not turn up after a diligent and reasonable search for it, there likely would not be any alternative to filing a proceeding for administration of the estate. Administration is the terminology used when a person dies without a will. In such an instance, the estate is distributed in accordance with New York's laws of intestate distribution.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are... more
Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

You can start a probate proceeding if you are a creditor or interested family member without a will.
If the will shows up during the proceeding-it still caan be filed.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Probate Attorney - Livonia, MI

Depending on your relationship to the person involved, you may or may not have any right to initiate probate, absent a Will. Since you are certain that there WAS a Will, you would need to keep digging, in the case that you are not an heir that would otherwise take.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.