Skip to main content


Buffalo, NY |

MY GF was detained by Border Partol at the Buffalo Airport as her VWP was expired by 15 days. She has no intentions of staying in the country and would like to request a voluntary departure and leave the country ASAP. She has been in the US twice on j1visa for 2 years and vwp and left on time in both instances. What steps should i take in granting getting her a voluntary Departure. Can I call the Deportation Officer directly?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It is up to the CBP ... they can institute expedited 'removal' which is bad and they tend to do more often than not.

    Voluntary Departure is discretionary ... they need a SUPER GOOD reason to let her off 'easy' with VD.

    Meet with an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. No, but they can allow you to withdraw you application for admission. You cannot call the officer. Only an attorney can represent her. The officer will not be able to communicate with you about her case.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. 1. No v/d, but to stop her appears absurd.
    2. No, they won't take your call.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics