Canceling my gym membership after the gym took away child care.

Indio, CA |

I joined my gym on November 28, 2012. They initially sold me on the fact they would have free child care until the following December. They just took away child care last month. I told them that I wanted to cancel my membership, since I would be unable to go to the gym without the child care. They told me I would be charged $100 for breaking my contract. Is it possible to fight this and not have to pay since they failed to meet the expectations they originally sold me on with child care.

1. I suggest that you review Cal. Civil Code Title 2.5 "Contracts for Health Studio Services" in particular section 1812.85, subdivision (c) of the Civil Code, which provides for cancellation of the contract if the health studio eliminates or substantially reduces the scope of the facilities that are listed in the contract, advertisements, or the written offer. You have the right to cancel, based on the facts that you described in your posting. I'd suggest sending a notice of cancellation by fax and U.S. Certified Mail and that you keep a copy for your records along with the proof of delivery. Refer to this section and the reason being the termination of child care. I would not offer to pay them a penny, as they should know the rules that govern their facilities.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
    www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
    Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as Avvo.com, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

2. I agree with atty Stempler. Basically, this is a breach of contract by the gym because they did not provide the services promised you. This breach excuses you from further performance. If they ding your credit report, you can add your side of the story in the report. If they seek to enforce the contract, get in touch with an experienced attorney and have a letter sent to the gym or its attorney. Most likely, nothing will come of it based on the facts you provide. If you get a Summons or Order to Appear in Small Claims court, don't ignore it. If you do, you will lose by default. It is harder and more expensive to set aside a default judgment. You will definitely need a lawyer to do that.

Business topics