Can your ex go back to court 3 years after divorce agreement was signed to get a modification on retro child support in NJ?

Asked 8 months ago - Marlboro, NJ

My husband was divorced 3 years ago in NJ. Him and his ex-wife signed divorce agreement. At that time his son was 21 yo and was attending full-time college. Now his son is attending a medical school. Per the agreement they were to have a join custody and no child support for his son was mentioned in this agreement. All the sudden, 3 years later his ex-wife wrote him an e-mail declaring that she will go back to court, modify their divorce agreement and demand my husband to pay retro child support for their son for these past 3 years. I know that under the state of NJ its not clear when the child is immancipated but is she really entitled to do that 3 years after the divorce was finalized? She actually has way higher income than my husband. Please advise.
Thank you,

Attorney answers (5)

  1. John B. D'Alessandro

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The terms of the Property Settlement Agreement will control. To answer your question, generally Child Support would only be retroactive from the date the motion/application for modification was filed with the Court. It would be highly unusual for the Court to let her collect support for the three years you speak of. However, if he was required to pay college expenses or other amounts then she may have a claim to enforce her rights under the Agreement for sums he did not pay. From your question it seems like there is more to the story. If she does file any motion with the court I would suggest that you consult with an attorney and bring with you the Property Settlement Agreement.

    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-... more
  2. David F Salvaggio

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A good lawyer will require a lot more information, in order to properly advise your husband. Among other things: (1) Was your husband and/or his ex-wife represented by a lawyer in the divorce?
    (2) Why was there no mention whatoever of child support in the Settlement Agreement? Was it because your husband was paying for a part of college, and his ex-wife accepted that as sufficient?

    There is a statute in New Jersey (N.J.S.A. 2A:17-56.23a) which is referred to as the "anti-retroactivity" statute with respect to child support applications. That statute prohibits child support from being REDUCED retroactively, except in very rare cases which are not relevant here.

    A common misconception (even among some lawyers) is that this statute also prohibits retroactive INCREASES. It does NOT do so.

    All that being said, because your husband's ex-wife did not take any action for 3 years--it will be very difficult for her to justify to the Court any request for retroactive child support, without very compelling justification.

    At this point, nothing has been filed by the ex-wife with the Court. If she does, I strongly recommend that your husband schedule a meeting with a very experienced lawyer who devotes his/her practice to New Jersey Divorce and Family Law matters. That lawyer should take whatever time is necessary to go over all of the facts with him and look at whatever documents he have, in order to provide him with the best advice. In my opinion, it will be well worth the cost of the Assessment.

    DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should... more
  3. James R Fridie III


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree with Mr. D'Alessandro that the terms of the property settlement agreement will govern. In reference to child support, she can't file a motion and ask for three years worth of payments. She would potentially be eligible to receive child support retroactive to the date she filed her application with the court.

    Disclaimer: The information here is general and not intended to be construed as legal advice or form an attorney-... more
  4. Ronald Glenn Lieberman


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . There needs to be changed circumstances before relief can be granted.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree... more
  5. Flavio Van Boekel

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If the agreement was silent as to the issue of child support it was somewhat defective and whether or not the the ex-wife was represented by counsel is crucial. In addition, child support is a right that neither party can waive because it is a right that belongs to the child, not the parents. Yes, the ex-wife can go to court; whether or not she will be successful will depend on the facts. Hire counsel.

    This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, you agree and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,627 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,627 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering