Can your employer legally pay you late EVERY pay period?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tucker, GA

Say your employer used to pay his employees weekly which was changed to bi-monthly on set dates, which has turned into EVERY pay day for the last 8 months being late. This period of time covers a span from the 15th to the 29th for instance, which makes it time the next pay period is due and so the cycle keeps on.

There are always excuses to attempt justification, however we all know what the real issue is and that's an addiction to shopping. I'm talking high volume, big money shopping addiction.
After the initial round-robin of reasons, it then turns into ignored calls, texts and visits to the office trying for some time frame so we can tell our creditors ONCE AGAIN when they may expect theirs or the bank when we can take care of overdraft fees. Then threatens firing us. Any help?

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

2

Best Answer

Answered . What do you mean by "late?" You left out that key information. How big is the company? It appears you work for a small business with money problems. Your first option may be to find a new job. That is likely what you would be doing if you threatened or pursued legal action in a small business that could not afford it. For now, presumably you are getting paid and for a business in trouble, that could end. Sometimes the practical answer is more important.

2. Dean Richard Fuchs

1

Answered . An employer in GA is supposed to pay its employees no less frequently than semi-monthly (e.g. twice per month), though in some circumstances monthly paychecks are authorized. I suppose you can complain to the GA Dept of Labor about "late" paychecks, if that is what is occurring, but I doubt it would do anything about it. Your best bet -- start looking for another job.