Can your employer fire you for taking prescription medication

Mobile, AL |

I was recently fired for taking prescription medication a weight loss pill adipex that contains amphetamines and it showed up when I had to take a random drug test.Other employees have taken the same thing and they are still employed its not and illegal drug

In Alabama, your employer can fire you for whatever reason they want except because of your race, sex, age, religion, national origin, or disability. Also, they cannot fire you if you have a contract or "solely" because you filed a workers compensation claim. The only way you can take action against them is if you can prove the medication issue was a pretext for one of these other reasons or if you can show you had a contract, and they breached it.

You may consider consulting with an employment attorney about potential ADA issues. The fact that adipex is a weight loss medication raises a potential issue related to obesity. Obesity is not a disability under the ADA but addressing obesity is often a means of addressing other medical issues that may qualify as disabilities within the meaning of the ADA.

The EEOC recognizes that, while obesity is not considered a disabling impairment, a person with obesity may have an underlying or resultant physiological disorder, such as hypertension or a thyroid disorder. A physiological disorder is an impairment.

This seems like quite a reach given the information provided but is something to consider nonetheless.