Can your employer fire/discharge you while you are on medical leave?

Asked about 2 years ago - Eaton Rapids, MI

Have been on medical leave for about 6 1/2 months. was about to be scheduled for surgery. recieved letter stating that I had been discharge because I have been gone too long.

1. James M. Osak

Best Answer

Answered . Are you on medical leave because of an
    "on-the-job" injury? You would have a
    claim against employer. Did you file
    a workman's comp. claim?

OR was this injury NOT related to
    your job? If yes . . . employer can
    fire you (at-will employment).
    However, if you have a disability
    you might have a claim against
    the employer.

You NEED to talk to an employment
    attorney ASAP to discuss the particular
    facts of your case with. Good luck!

2. Travis I. Dafoe

Pro

Answered . In Michigan, employees are an at-will employee. So an employer can fire you for almost any reason. The most applicable exception for you is the Americans' with Disabilities Act. It requires an employer to provide a reasonable accommodation for an employee's disability. Depending on your disability, you may have been eligible for some sort of accommodation. The most important question you would need to answer for an attorney is — whether you are disabled as defined by the ADA? Whether you requested any accommodation or what conversations did you have with your employer about your disability? What type of job was it, and would it have been reasonable for the employer to provide you with additional time off. You may have a claim, but it is going to be heavily dependent on the answer to the questions I have posed. I would advise you to speak to an attorney with the answer to those questions in mind.