Can your employer cut your hours the day of?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fairfield, CA

If you are scheduled X amount of hours for a shift can your employer send you home early without your ok the day of the shift?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

9

Answered . Yes. However, if you show up for work and there isn't work, you may be entitled to "reporting time pay" in California.

Reporting time pay is partial compensation for employees who report to work expecting to work a specified number of hours and who are deprived of that amount because of inadequate scheduling or lack of proper notice by the employer.

For a complete explanation, see the California Department of Industrial Relations website at:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_ReportingTimePa...

2. Neil Pedersen

4

Answered . Mr. Chen is correct. Reporting time pay is due to an employee who is scheduled to work and reports but is sent home.

Good luck to you.

3. David Andrew Mallen

1

Answered . I agree with both lawyers.

I also wish to point out that the "reporting time claim" may be asserted when your employer requires you to respond to texts and emails after your work shift. I know this is not directly related to your question, but I do see this happening more frequently in the workplace.

Best regards,

David A. Mallen
    www.elsgundocaemploymentattorney.com