Can your California DMV record be cleaned up after a DUI?

Ontario, CA |

Can your California DMV record be cleaned up after a DUI? Received my one and only DUI in 2007. Probation is complete, schooling is done, fines are all paid, and I scored a .23, which gave me a nine month program for first offense. During this period, I failed a breath test at school once and received another suspension. I'm exiting construction because of the economy and have been trying to get into Commercial Trucking. My DMV printout is preventing me from making a much needed career change because of the past DUI.

Please help!!

And I hate to be the one to tell you but it will continue to stand in your way until 2017. You cannot wipe a DUI off your record.

Many large commercial trucking firms typically won't hire new drivers with prior DUIs on their DMV record. Some will, so look around. You may have better overall luck with a smaller trucking company or a local hauler. In California, one DUI bars you from getting a commercial license for one year, and a second DUI can be a lifetime commercial driving ban, even if it occurred in a passenger car. One option you might consider is becoming an independent trucker. As the construction lull may well last for years, it's not a bad idea to have a plan B or a plan C. Visit a few sites such as truckdriver.com to find the actual requirements different companies place on their fleet drivers. Persistence pays, as you only need one job. Your other qualifications may just be strong enough or valued by the employer to get you the job you want, despite the slowly aging DUI.

My colleagues are correct. Your DUI will haunt you for 10 years, until 2017- and always remain on your record.

Legal disclaimer: You can learn more about me by clicking on my Avvo profile. Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

Thank you for your question.

The answer is that, unfortunately, a DMV record cannot be expunged like a criminal conviction can.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to post if you have any further questions. It's my pleasure to help any way that I can.