Can your boss single you out for something agroup of people are doing

Marietta, OH |

received email from my boss over unauthorized 10 minute breaks. I was the only one she acknowledged and it was put in my file this is only one example of her punishing me and no one else

1. Certainly it is unfair that your employer is singling you out for the same conduct your colleagues are also engaging in. However, two wrongs don't make a right.

Unless you are being singled out and punished on an illegal basis (race, sex, pregnancy, disability, national origin, religion) or in retaliation for exercising a right or engaging in a protected activity, then you are not being unlawfully discriminated/retaliated against. Furthermore, you would have to suffer an adverse employment action to have a claim against your employer. More information is needed to determine if you have been subject to an adverse employment action.

If you think you are being singled out on an illegal basis, you should contact an employment attorney. It might be worthwhile to talk it through with a local attorney to ensure that you are not being treated unlawfully.

I wish you the best of luck.

Matthew J.P. Coffman

This information above is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have questions about your individual circumstances, please consult with an attorney. Please feel free to contact the firm. However, contacting the firm does not create an attorney-client relationship.