Can your boss refuse food expense reimbursement after 11 years without notice of the change first?

Asked 6 months ago - Harrisburg, PA

The new zone manager for major nationwide company did this without notice first of his changes? I thought reimbursement for out of town expenses was a company policy. He just said "I don't reimburse for food".

1. William Charles Sipio

1

Answered . The general answer to the question would be yes. The Fair Labor Standards Act ("FLSA") does not require that employers reimburse employees for travel expenses such as meals and lodging. You can certainly use travel expenses as a tax deduction if the employer does not compensate them. Most employers do reimburse, however, because it creates an atmosphere where employees seek employment elsewhere.

Some states have additional laws mandating that employers cover travel expenses. Generally, the PA Wage Payment and Collection Law does not cover reimbursements. They are not considered "wages" under the law.

If you had a claim at all here, it would probably be rooted in some type of implied contract claim given that the employer paid for your reimbursements for eleven ("11") years. However, I imagine the damages are fairly low. I think your best bet is to make an internal complaint to the company.