Can you use Wisconsins DNA Database (that Felons must submit DNA profile to) to determine paternity

Appleton, WI |

Is there a way to use a DNA sample from the Wisconsin DNA Database to determine paternity? My ex was very abusive, so I don't want to go that route to get a DNA test. However, I know that his DNA is in the database becaues he is a felon. Is that a possibility?? Thank you!

Only if he consents. Three kinds of people can get information regarding a DNA sample. 1, Law enforcement personnel; 2, a defense attorney; 3, the individual whose DNA is to be analyzed. There are privacy concerns about other uses of DNA samples.

If you're receiving any kind of public assistance (food stamps, daycare assistance, Badgercare, W2, whatever) your local child support enforcement people should be willing to help you with getting a paternity order.

I guess I should have added that I am receiving assistance, however I have a "good cause" claim through the State that they will not persue him for child support because doing so could cause physical or emotion harm to my daughter or myself. Do you think they would be able to obtain it without his consent? Or could a defense attorney be able to without his consent?

Michael J. Briggs

Michael J. Briggs

Why do you want him to be named the father if nobody is going after him for child support?

Michael J. Briggs

Michael J. Briggs

And, I should have added: if he's named as father, he will have parental rights and can ask for visitation.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support