Can you use the recording the cops have to strengthen your case in a trial???

Orange, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I ask this because I feel the things I said and the tactics the cops used and didn't work can I use this in trial can I request the recordings the cops tried go use against me but backfired.

Generally speaking, you are entitled to everything the police and prosecutor have through discovery.

If you want a trial, though, you very much want an attorney; there are plenty of rules and pitfalls.

And criminal attorneys love winnable cases . . .

You will want to request the recording long before trial. Have your attorney file a motion for discovery. (Or even perhaps a Brady motion.) You will want to be certain that you have a method for introducing the video as an authentic copy. The court may rule portions of the video as inadmissible, you may need to have those portions edited out. Good luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

Of course. Your attorney will receive copies of all of these videos during the discovery process. If you feel they benefit you and the State does not introduce them at trial, you are free to.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.