Skip to main content

Can you try to prove that a crime was not of moral turpitude , if you were convicted of the crime years ago?

Waco, TX |
Filed under: Criminal conviction

I ws recently fired from my job of 6 years because my crimianl history showed that I was convicted of THEFT PROP >=$20 <$500 BY CHECK (23990033) . I worked at a Charter School and under Charter School Laws you cannot work for a Charter School if you committed a crime of moral turpitude. The Charter Schools Asscoiation attorneys told by boss that it was a crime of moral turpitude and the TEA (Texas Education Agency) told me it was not. And the TEA consulted with their legal team before they gave me that answer. I have worked there all of this time and I guess that they are just now doing my background check.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Theft is a crime of moral turptitude under Texas law. Any particular employer or agency is free to make their own determination whether they want to employ a person with this type of offense on their record.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  2. Theft is considered a crime of moral turpitude. It's up to your employer to decide how that affects employment decisions.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

  3. I agree with Ms. Jaggers and Mr. Jones. Theft under Texas law is a crime of moral turpitude.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics