Can you try to prove that a crime was not of moral turpitude , if you were convicted of the crime years ago?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Waco, TX

I ws recently fired from my job of 6 years because my crimianl history showed that I was convicted of THEFT PROP >=$20 <$500 BY CHECK (23990033) . I worked at a Charter School and under Charter School Laws you cannot work for a Charter School if you committed a crime of moral turpitude. The Charter Schools Asscoiation attorneys told by boss that it was a crime of moral turpitude and the TEA (Texas Education Agency) told me it was not. And the TEA consulted with their legal team before they gave me that answer. I have worked there all of this time and I guess that they are just now doing my background check.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

Answered . Theft is a crime of moral turptitude under Texas law. Any particular employer or agency is free to make their own determination whether they want to employ a person with this type of offense on their record.

2. Richard Timothy Jones

3

Answered . Theft is considered a crime of moral turpitude. It's up to your employer to decide how that affects employment decisions.
    512-495-1813
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

2

Answered . I agree with Ms. Jaggers and Mr. Jones. Theft under Texas law is a crime of moral turpitude.