Can you try to prove that a crime was not of moral turpitude , if you were convicted of the crime years ago?

Waco, TX |
Filed under: Criminal conviction

I ws recently fired from my job of 6 years because my crimianl history showed that I was convicted of THEFT PROP >=$20 <$500 BY CHECK (23990033) . I worked at a Charter School and under Charter School Laws you cannot work for a Charter School if you committed a crime of moral turpitude. The Charter Schools Asscoiation attorneys told by boss that it was a crime of moral turpitude and the TEA (Texas Education Agency) told me it was not. And the TEA consulted with their legal team before they gave me that answer. I have worked there all of this time and I guess that they are just now doing my background check.

1. Theft is a crime of moral turptitude under Texas law. Any particular employer or agency is free to make their own determination whether they want to employ a person with this type of offense on their record.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. Theft is considered a crime of moral turpitude. It's up to your employer to decide how that affects employment decisions.
    512-495-1813
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

3. I agree with Ms. Jaggers and Mr. Jones. Theft under Texas law is a crime of moral turpitude.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.