Skip to main content

Can you travel internationally with an underage drinking ticket warrant?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have a warrant for failure to complete county diversion after being issued an underage drinking ticket in Arizona. I had moved out of the state and was unable to take care of the ticket, and since a warrant has been issued. The warrant/ticket is close to 3 years old now as I have not made it back to the state. I want to travel to Europe in one month, and am unsure if I will be able to leave/get back into the US. I am going to try and take care of the ticket before then, but am worried I may be unable to quash the warrant in time. Will I be able to travel with the warrant?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If there is a warrant, you can be detained when you come back into the country. Clear the warrant up before you leave the country, you don't want to do jail time on something you can possibly get dismissed and keep your record clean of.

    Elliot Zarabi

    Elliot Zarabi 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I do not know the full details of the case and therefore cannot make a full determination on your case or your answer. I always recommend speaking to an attorney in detail regarding your case.

  2. If you are a U.S. citizen, your problem will not be getting back into the U.S. Homeland Security will be happy to see you AND take you into custody when you set foot in the country. In fact, it might catch you when running airline manifests before you even leave. You need to hire counsel to get your case on the court's docket and resolve your warrant and case. We have handles many problems just like yours.

    The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

  3. As your warrant is in Arizona you will need to contact an attorney licensed to practice in that jurisdiction - they will be able to advise you how to deal with the matter. Depending on the laws in AZ a local attorney may be able to recall the warrant and deal with the case without you needing to return. All in all you will be much better off getting this taken care of, you won't need to worry when a police car pulls in behind you, and you can travel safe in the knowledge you won't be detained when you return home.

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.

  4. You should be aware that whenever you have warrant, on a misdemeanor or felony, there is always the chance that you can get stopped at customs for questioning on the warrant and potentially detained. I have had clients detained for seemingly minor warrants on cases for petty theft and similarly minor convictions. I strongly advise that you clear the warrant prior to travel.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics