Can you travel internationally with an underage drinking ticket warrant?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a warrant for failure to complete county diversion after being issued an underage drinking ticket in Arizona. I had moved out of the state and was unable to take care of the ticket, and since a warrant has been issued. The warrant/ticket is close to 3 years old now as I have not made it back to the state. I want to travel to Europe in one month, and am unsure if I will be able to leave/get back into the US. I am going to try and take care of the ticket before then, but am worried I may be unable to quash the warrant in time. Will I be able to travel with the warrant?

1. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

2

Answered . If there is a warrant, you can be detained when you come back into the country. Clear the warrant up before you leave the country, you don't want to do jail time on something you can possibly get dismissed and keep your record clean of.

Elliot Zarabi

2. Richard Franklin Taub

2

Answered . If you are a U.S. citizen, your problem will not be getting back into the U.S. Homeland Security will be happy to see you AND take you into custody when you set foot in the country. In fact, it might catch you when running airline manifests before you even leave. You need to hire counsel to get your case on the court's docket and resolve your warrant and case. We have handles many problems just like yours. www.taubcriminaldefense.com

3. Alan Graham Keating

1

Answered . As your warrant is in Arizona you will need to contact an attorney licensed to practice in that jurisdiction - they will be able to advise you how to deal with the matter. Depending on the laws in AZ a local attorney may be able to recall the warrant and deal with the case without you needing to return. All in all you will be much better off getting this taken care of, you won't need to worry when a police car pulls in behind you, and you can travel safe in the knowledge you won't be detained when you return home.

4. Garret Daniel Weinrieb

Pro

1

Answered . You should be aware that whenever you have warrant, on a misdemeanor or felony, there is always the chance that you can get stopped at customs for questioning on the warrant and potentially detained. I have had clients detained for seemingly minor warrants on cases for petty theft and similarly minor convictions. I strongly advise that you clear the warrant prior to travel.